- Room type: Western style
- Rating: 4★ – 5★
- Room size: 20m2 – 40m2
- Room rates: 10,000¥ – 30,000¥ (reference only)
City Hotels are generally large first class hotels located in the cities. Basically there is no star system in Japan, but most of the hotels are equivalent to 4 or 5 star hotels. Room rates are rather high because of the convenient location in the city center for most of the hotels, and the excellent service and facilities, guaranteeing a comfortable and pleasant stay. Usually the hotel staff also is able to speak other languages besides Japanese.
Apart from accommodation, many other services are also provided at City Hotels, such as large conference rooms, banquet and wedding halls. In most cases there are several restaurants offering Japanese, Western and Chinese cuisine, broadening the choice of meal. Sometimes famous restaurants or dinner shows are part of the hotel, attracting not only the hotel’s guest, but other visitors as well. Further facilities include bars and lounges, gift shops and boutiques or a gym, suitable for all different kinds of lifestyle.
- Twin rooms are common in most of the City Hotels, and in some cases Single rooms are not available. Single travellers usually have to book a Twin or Double Single Youth Room, which are relatively expensive. Some hotels near train or bus terminals focus on business travellers and therefore offer a lot of Single rooms. Although there are some hotels offering real Triple rooms, most of the hotels prepare a Twin room with an extra bed or a sofa-bed. In that case often the bed size is smaller than usual.
- Room size averages from 20 to 30 square meters. Room grade usually rises on the upper floors. Depending on the room conception, interior or view, room rates differ even if room sizes are the same.
- Although non-smoking hotels are increasing in recent years, in a lot of cases smoking is allowed and room odors will be neutralized.
- Sample fees for a Twin Youth room average out at about 10,000¥ – 30,000¥ per person and night. Nevertheless room rates depend on travel seasons, economy, festivals and other events.
Important notes when staying at a City Hotel
- In most cases baggage service will be charged and in some hotels there is no baggage service at all.
- Please note that Double room size is smaller than Twin room size. Due to limitation in the number, information about the availability of Double rooms is often only available on a request base. Please take into consideration that a reply can sometimes not be given until the day of arrival or only one day in advance.
- Generally City Hotels do not offer Japanese-style but only Western-style rooms.